Thursday, May 7, 2009

Response to Flowersx3's blog

In class we were asked to read someone else's blog and the blog i selected was about a genetic disease called Phenylketonuria. From this blog I learned a lot about the disease. For instance, in order to inherit this genetic disorder both parents have to be carriers and sadly, there is no cure. The symptoms of Phenylketonuria are skin rash, excessive restlessness, irritable behavior, body oder, and more. What happens on a molecular level is an enzyme doesn't function properly and can't separate amino acids. Due to a large amount of "Phe" building up in the blood, the body is not able to convert "Phe" into tyrosine. The information i learned from this blog is surely information that will stay with me the rest of my life. I am extremly greatful that i am not one of the 1 in 70 people that are diagnossed with Phenylketonuria. This article makes me really think about how lucky I am because this genetic disorder is very common. I am sad that there are so many children who have to deal with this disease on a daily bases where I hardly have any complications in my health besides seasonal allergies and the occasional virus. I thank Flowersx3 for posting this blog.
To learn more about Phenylketonuria click here.

No comments: